Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bring On Obama!

(At least Walmart is cheap and provides free riding carts to the disabled)

I truly believe the cost of healthcare in this country is a scam and I am completely fed up with the workings of health insurance. I broke my leg. I went to the Emergency Room. They had me sit around a long time, had a doctor ask a couple of questions, took an x-ray, splinted it, and "gave" me a couple of pain pills. The x-ray, some ace bandage and 5 lortab ended up costing over $600. They charged $20 for 5 lortab, and I went the next day to the pharmacy and got 20 pills for $5. Had I known they were going to charge me that exuberant amount, I would have said" no thanks, I'll stop by Walgreens on the way home." It's ridiculous! I feel hospitals should at least let you know what kind of spending they're blindly having you do. Giving birth was my first hospital experience, and although it was overall a good experience and the people were very nice I was shocked when months later we recieved the statment showing the charges. $10 for some Q-tips they sent home for babycare. I don't remember what else was on there, but I'm sure they charged every extra penny they could for each pair of paper panties and cup of juice.

We were fortunate enough to have the gift of medicaid to cover these expenses. The cost of the leg however contributed to the deductible on our private insurance. The deducitble was met(just barely), but now that a new calendar year has begun is meaningless! I guess I should have broken my leg in May. It just makes me sick knowing Daniel and I pay almost $200 a month for insurance and when something comes up (once a year) and we need it they pay a whopping $87.62. To me it seems dishonest, unjust. I have been complaining about paying the bill and Daniel reminds me that if a more serious accident were to happen it would be lifesaving to have it, which I know is true. So begrudingly, I continue to pay the bill we can barely afford and curse the name of Regence Blueshield.

Dear President Elect Obama,
Please Bring on Healthcare Reform.
The End.

Update: Cloey's sleep has been an overnight miracle. She is sleeping 9-11 hrs. every night and napping beautifully. She falls asleep in about 5 min. I really don't know what to do with my free time and I'm loving it. Perhaps another child will someday be possible afterall.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Amen sister. I hope Obama is a miracle worker!

p.s. you having a party? You're buying lots of paper plates.