Friday, January 9, 2009

One more success.

Cloey went to sleep herself tonight in about 30 min. Daniel and I had the pleasure of spending some quality awake time together. Unfortunately there's a majorly loud party going on downstairs and we are unable to go to sleep ourselves. I'm on the net now to research what I should do if she wakes up in the night. Go in and say hi, or just let her be? If you are experienced with this, please pass your knowledge. Also, the eventual goal is for the child to go to sleep on his/her own without crying, right? I would appreciate your stories on this too. Thanks in advance. We are so happy and hopeful right now!

2 comments:

Kierst said...

That's so good, Stacey! I hope she keeps it up. I do know how frustrating it can be. In my research, I always read that if she wakes up, go in and reassure her, so she knows you're there, but leave her there. And don't feed her. She doesn't need it anymore. That's what I've read. I can't say that I was always good at it, especially in the middle of the night. But I do think that there comes a point where she needs to learn to get herself back to sleep when she wakes up. With London, I would go in and rub her back and talk to her for a minute and tell her that I would be back to check on her in a few minutes. I think she understood, even when she was really young. Then I would go back a few minutes later so she knew I was still there, but I wouldn't stay long. Each time I went in, I would stay less time. I still have to do that now but we did get past it for a while. Anything is hard, but it looks like you're making some good progress. Good luck! It's always nice to know that others have similar struggles as you and I'm pretty sure in a few months I'll be coming to you for advice!

Angela S said...

Great!

I think its teaching her that dark means its time to sleep. When she wakes up if you're confident she's not hungary and just wants to nurse for comfort then leave her be. Give her an alternative way to comfort herself. Be it a binky she can always reach or start her on a sippy cup with water in it that she can try to use. If its logical she's hungary then feed her and set her back down to bed. Going in usually isn't great even though we want to say I love you and comfort them. The goal is to teach them to self comfort. Good luck! My boys were 10x worse if I went in to love on them. But the times they knew I was done they did better. Each kid is different.